Hope & Self-Advocacy
Statewide Consumer Network Conference
for individuals with mental health challenges or co-occurring disorders THEMSELVES
Saturday, August 4, 2012, 9:30 - 5:00
To be held at NAVOS Mental Health Solutions
1010 South 146th Street, Burien, WA 98168
Space is limited
RSVP required for LUNCH
206.933.4080 or 1.855.436.9727
Funding provided by SAMHSA
Statewide Consumer Network Grant SM059858
126 SW 148th St. C100-310
Burien, WA 98166-1984
COMEDY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
Stand Up for Mental Health:
We are looking for 10 volunteers to be part of a 13‐week program teaching stand‐up comedy to people with mental health challenges. Classes will be taught by David Granirer, a counselor and a stand‐up comic who himself suffers from depression. For more information visit http://www.standupformentalhealth.com.
WHEN: Training starts July 27, 2012
TIME: 6 p.m. every Friday night for 13‐weeks
WHERE: TACID (6315 S. 19th Street, Tacoma 98466)
SHOW DATE: Late October 2012 (location to be determined)
• Have a mental health diagnosis, addiction or mental health issue
• Have stable housing
• A support system of both peers and professionals
• Be reasonably stable on any prescribed medication
• Be capable of sitting in class and paying attention
• Be able to read and write in English
• Have access to email and phone
• Have the motivation and desire to create healthy change
• And above all else, have a desire to do stand‐up comedy
• You’ll help reduce mental health stigma & spread a message of hope and empowerment
• You’ll have some great laughs, increase wellness, and build self‐esteem
• You’ll learn how to be funny and discover your inner comic!
Sign up today by contacting Kathleen Pantoja at (253) 565-9000 extension 17 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
David will give 13 Skype classes and work with each comic individually via phone and email. He will help you figure out what to write about, help you write your act, and give you general coaching. And don’t worry if you have a problem memorizing because you can use cheat‐sheets on stage. Your final act will be between 3 minutes. David will run and MC the final show.
Also, David’s guarantee to you is:
I will do whatever it takes to make sure that you succeed!